Friday, January 20, 2023

The Comfy-Cozy Nihilist: A Handbook of Dark Fiction by Nathan D. Ludwig



*Another long review as I break down all the stories in this one.


So Nathan sent me this book and I had no idea what to expect. He told me “It’s definitely out there!” He wasn’t kidding, some of these stories are so odd and completely unhinged. That is not a bad thing! I laughed at a few, jaw dropping on a few, and cringed quite a lot. I certainly think I had a blast reading all of them. 


To start with, Nathan lists some films he recommends. Looking at this list, yeah, this will be a fun little book.Just to name a few he has suggested: Kill List (2011), Rubber (2010), Weekend At Bernie’s (1989). 


First story, F*** Fangsviging, an entertaining and laugh out loud story about a set of twins who decide they need to do something about their vampire family. 


Next, Welcome to the Show.  This one is hard to explain, it is definitely a WTH story. How about this…what do you get when you mix a lover's vacation and a secret sex show? Yeah..you’ll never guess this one. 


The third story, For My Next Switch, I’ll Need a Volunteer, is a crazy weird clown story. You’ll like the twist on this common sub-genre.


Fourth story, Recompense, I think this is the darkest story of them all. A kidnapping story with an evil plot twist. 


Next, It Was Probably Just the Wind, is an eerie and fun story. A couple buys a house and gets more than they wanted.


The sixth story, In Here With Us, is about a confessional booth that is possessed! I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would.


Next, Me, The Jury, was so good! Gory and bloody, and to think if jury selection was like this, I would do everything I could to get out of it.


In The Fourth Wheel, is about the fourth guy hanging around a group of close friends and they have to be careful how they treat him.


The ninth story, Is That You?, is another wicked and evil story. You get to reflect on yourself in this story.


Next, Mick Winnerson’s Awfully Big Day, is a fun little game show story but being a winner isn’t always a good thing.

Number 11, I’d Hit That. What if you found the perfect companion and all you had to do was offer a bit of yourself in the process? Hehehe


The last short story, Outro,  Nathan offers his views on how complicated humans are.


Overall, a little book that packs a lot of dark and twisted stories. It’s for people that like an alternative twist on common sub-genres and need a lot of WTH moments in their lives. I highly recommend!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...