Sunday, April 16, 2023

The Quarry by DM Gritmacher




I’m not sure what I was expecting when I started The Quarry, but I found out quickly that I liked what I was reading. The story hooked me fairly quickly and kept me engaged with the characters. The story spans from the 1940s to present day.

“A dispiriting fog began to roll in, and a wet mist blanketed the gathered men in its damp embrace.”

Jeanne has repressed memories of her childhood in Vieux, Italy. When she was 4, WWII came to her town and her family fled to an underground quarry in hopes of being safe from the carnage and destruction above ground. That’s all Jeanne remembers, now an adult living in Chicago, Illinois. It is the year 1979 and Jeanne decides she wants to go back to Italy and try to piece together what happened during her time in the quarry. After entering the quarry, as an adult now, her memories unfold.

When I was reading about Jeanne’s story of her time spent in the quarry, I realized it was like a deep-dive (pun intended) into her mind. Jeanne had to go deep into the darkness of her mind, as well as the darkness of the quarry, to find answers. I felt like I was dreaming with her when the memories started coming back, as she lay in the quarry's darkness, reliving the trauma and fear.

Girizmacher did a fabulous job of making a personal connection between Jeanne and the reader. We learn her life’s story and she quickly becomes a close friend or family member. This is a good, solid occult horror story. No plot holes and the writing is fantastic. It tugs on all sorts of emotions: fear, sadness, anxiousness, and hopefulness. The Quarry is book two of a series, but it can be read as a stand-alone. I plan to grab book one, The Relict, as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...