Skip to main content

The Devil's Promise by Celso Hurtado



 The Devil’s Promise: An Erasmo Cruz Novel  by Celso Hurtado

 The Devil’s Promise is book two of this series. Book one is called Ghost Tracks. 

When I found out Celso Hurtado released book two in the Erasmo Cruz series, I was so eager and I let him know I wanted to read this. 

Erasmo Cruz is a kid that is missing something in his life. He has a sordid past and the emotional scars to show it. He is looking for a connection with anyone, or anything, to feel the acceptance and love he so desires. 

He is also a survivor of a supernatural attack in his past. He has the physical scars to prove that. After this assault, he takes it upon himself to help anyone that feels they are a victim of any supernatural events. It doesn’t matter how small or huge the problem is, he just wants to help.

But in The Devil’s Promise, Erasmo is introduced to many characters who are working against him and working with him. He accepts a case that is not at all what it seems. With curses, witchcraft, sacrifices, and tears aplenty, Erasmo must overcome one of the most difficult decisions of his life. 

What makes a story great is the emotional connection and the visual experience you can get from it. The details can help you get lost in a new world unlike any you have known.

I enjoy deep character building. I like to know the main characters’ ambitions, pet peeves, and inner demons they may have. It gives a deep connection with the story that I gravitate toward. Sometimes, when I am lucky, they become a friend that I want to see succeed.

World building is also a huge part of a remarkable story. I want the scenery… gore and all. The scenery always sets a mood or a tone.

 Hurtado has accomplished this with the Erasmo Cruz series. 

Celso Hortado is most definitely one of my newest favorite authors. His attention to the details, the characters’ needs and moods, and the world that he has built for Erasmo, is exemplary. There is a reason his first novel in this series, Ghost Tracks, won the International Latino Book Awards. He is that good at writing a gripping and fabulous story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

101 Super Cute Cat Things to Draw: Draw, doodle, and color a plethora of purrfectly pawesome felines and quirky cat mash-ups by Lulu Mayo

  Thank you #NetGalley and author #LuluMayo for sending me a copy of this fantastic book 101 Super Cute Cat Things to Draw!! This is such a cute book! Lulu Mayo teaches us how to draw some of the cutest little cat things. It starts out with a section of using a color wheel. I love the title of one of them "Pawsitively Pretty Pastels". From there on, the author shows up 101 ways to draw a cat. Such as a cat dragon, a mushroom cat, a cat cabbage, and cats drawn as zodiac signs! Even if you don't draw all of the cats, this is definitely a must-have for all cat lovers!

The Trunk by Mia Dalia

  This was a crazy story! It starts out smooth as molasses and then gets all twisted and dark. It’s one of those stories that escalates quickly going all outta left field. Bogdan and his wife buy their first home together and it comes with a basement… with a trunk in the basement. Nothing else is down in the basement but this weird trunk. He doesn’t think too much of it at first. Until he finally decides to open the trunk. Mia Dalia writes fantastic stories. She has quite an imagination to give her stories lots of twists and turns. She told me once that she enjoys psychology and I think she writes with that in mind. Her writing style invokes humanity’s inner demons and pushes the mind to harrowing events. If you are in the mood for a quick horror story with a psychological twist, you need to read The Trunk and Smile So Red by Mia; she will dig into your brain.

Dark Corners of the Old Dominion: A Virginia Horrors Anthology, edited by Joseph Maddrey and Michael Rook.

All proceeds from this book will be given to the Scares that Care program.  This anthology is a collection of 23 stories and poetry. Each author has a section of Virginia to set their story in. This collection of stories takes readers to the darkest corners of the Old Dominion, where secrets and horrors await. It features stories from some of your favorite authors, as well as new-to-you voices.  Brian Keene writes the foreword. He discusses the act of love and how it unites us all. The power of love is one action that helps Scares that Care be successful.  The stories are about cryptids, human horrors, empty towns, ghosts, and historical horror.  It is a unique blend of different horrors. It would be hard to choose one favorite out of this collection. Every single story was enjoyable, and it introduced me to authors I had not heard of before. I definitely recommend this to all horror lovers. There is something for everyone.