Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Escape From Manhattan: Out of NYC Book 1 by Kate Seger

 


I’m not going to lie, I have a soft spot for zombies. I know there are plenty of books and movies about zombies, and believe me, I have read so many of those books and watched many zombie movies. So, when a new zombie book comes along, you bet I’m going to read it. Now I know a lot of you are grumbling, another zombie book?, but hear me out! Escape From Manhattan has some different facets of a zombie story that isn’t as common as the usual plot and narration goes. For that, I am happy to see a bit of a change in the overall zombie genre. Let me explain what is so unique and different about this story.


Ashlynn and Leith just met and are surviving the zombie apocalypse. Ashlynn has a trust issue, and it causes some hesitation in relying on Leith and believing his good intentions. They need to escape Manhattan and try to find a place to survive in safety. Leith has a home that is secure, so they decide to head out to his home. They run across lots of “creepers” along the way.


First, I want to say, the main character of this zombie story is a woman. I would have to say about 95% of the zombie books I have read, it is usually a man that the story focuses around. That little change makes me very happy as a woman that imagines her own zombie apocalypse survival. Second, this story does not contain brains and gore and escaping one peril after another over and over again. Of course, there is a bit of that, but this story is focused more on emotional survival. Of having someone that you can trust to be there for you and to lean on when you break down. 


The story is a short and quick read that starts after the fall of Manhattan. I appreciate the quick flashbacks throughout the story; they are not overdone and are the right amount of background history. The flow of the story is smooth, and the writing is solid. I was able to read this in one day without losing interest. The ending is a small cliffhanger, but not a terrible one. It ends with us getting to see what happens next in Ashlynn and Leith’s story. I have every intention of finding out what is next! 


Book two, Out of NYC, is currently on Vella. It will release in ebook and paperback May 15, 2023. Preorder will be up by the end of March. 



Amazon link for Book 1: https://www.amazon.com/Escape-Manhattan-Out-NYC-Book-ebook/dp/B0BR7DC25H/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=AqvdY&content-id=amzn1.sym.22f5776b-4878-4918-9222-7bb79ff649f4&pf_rd_p=22f5776b-4878-4918-9222-7bb79ff649f4&pf_rd_r=135-3356753-7568916&pd_rd_wg=RvjJK&pd_rd_r=ea5c5f94-7aac-42f8-9fd2-b9337e25cc9c&ref_=aufs_ap_sc_dsk


Here’s the Vella link for Book 2: https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/story/B092SXZD7J?fbclid=IwAR0G-6AjfZ9aLZG0uxM3FY7GvgmCJB3G9_oZwzaJUdcecxNh7UySEmb6cbI


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...