Sunday, March 5, 2023

Nightfall and Other Dangers by Jacob Steven Mohr, Releases on April 7, 2023




A couple months ago, I read a short story by Jacob Steven Mohr titled The Dear Darling Things and I loved it. So, when he reached out to me asking if I would like to read some more stories, I did not hesitate. The dude can write an outstanding story!! What follows is his latest short story collection that I am breaking down for you. I have got to say, pick this collection up, written well and highly entertaining.

The introduction is by John Richtor. His view on Mohr’s writing is: “an extraordinarily talented writer, a master of slowly ratcheting terror, a shadowy puppeteer able to jerk human dreams and emotions like obedient marionettes.” I can’t think of a better way to express Mohr’s writing. Well said!

So, let’s break down the 15 short stories in this anthology.

Nostalgia. A young boy remembers his mother’s garden. A dark and dreary story that pulls on the heartstrings, but it also gives you creepy vibes.

You Are the Hero of Legend. A young boy is exploring the woods behind his house when he stumbles upon something that intrigues him, causing a life-changing event. A very cool story that is a twist on a popular 15 century story. I have to say, this little twist is perfect for the horror reader.

Song of the Summer. A group of friends decide to go camping on a deserted island that one of them visits often. When the night is coming, they get the fire going and one of them shares a story. The ending is very unexpected.

The Panic. A documentary/email style story about an awful event on a hot July day. I loved the style of this story.

Some Bad Luck Near Bitter Downs. A couple of brothers have robbed a family and are now on the run…and they fall into some bad luck. A western-kind of setting, but definitely horror.

Mister Mickenzie. A babysitter is way over her head watching two little girls! This is nothing like what you think it will be. I guarantee you can not predict this story.

1855. A transcription is shared for the telling of this story. A motherless boy loses his father and ends up in an orphanage. All sorts of evil and devilish delights in this story.

A Real Likeness. Something unexplainable overcomes a painter while talking to a young man about one of his paintings. What follows is a dark and depressing dive into a messed up mind he cannot control.

Copilot. If you’re an 80s kid, you’ll LOVE this story. It’s loosely based around a popular video game in the 1980s. The twists Mohr puts on this game is freaking outstanding!

Red Meat. Liberty Eppes is wanting to spend some time alone at home when she receives an unwelcome visitor. Such a nasty story!!

Last Supper. An apocalypse story. I’m a sucker for the end of the world stories; I want to read them all. This one takes the cake. A husband and wife are celebrating their anniversary on top of a building while wicked thoughts are going through their minds.

She’s New In Town. This is a neat little story. Paul works at a convenience store and has a strange visitor come in. A good eerie story.

When It Rains. A sad story of a young man that remembers his girlfriend. He relives a moment that could have happened. A solid story, very enjoyable to read.

Sometimes You Get Two. This is like experiencing this story in a dream state. A couple of friends go on a hunting trip and strange things happen to one of the girls.

The Machete at the End of the World. I think this is my favorite story of all. It’s like a love letter from a serial killer to his victims, but it is set in an apocalypse. I told you I like apocalypse stories, and I have never read something like this before. Elegant, beautiful, evil, and nasty.

This entire collection was a joy to read. I devoured it and I am itching for some more in the style of Mohr’s writing. If you are after a variety of stories that can lure you in quickly, creep you out, and give you some shivers down the back, I highly recommend this anthology. Mohr is an impressive story teller. He can take a simple, popular theme or object, and twist a story around it and form something completely original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...