Sunday, August 13, 2023

 



Everything Went to Shit: A Horror Collection by R.E. Sargent

Everything Went to Shit is a collection of nine short horror stories. All nine of them are five-star stories, in my opinion. Sargent’s writing style is smooth and precise. I liked how easy it was to get lost in these stories. Before I knew it, it ended so quickly and was a fantastic collection of stories to experience.
Daniel Volpe wrote the foreword and shares that he thinks this is a great collection for an intro to some extreme horror. However, the seasoned extreme horror readers will thoroughly enjoy this collection, too. I totally agree! A fabulous collection for everyone!
Killer Radio is about a DJ buying his first radio station. He has lots of plans, hopes and dreams with his new station. There are some folks though, that don’t like his music choices and make it clear they are not happy with his station. A truly awesome one-of-a-kind story.
‘Til Death Do Us Part is a love story, of sorts. Tyler meets the love of his life at a local coffee shop. Things are going great until they aren’t. The twist in this story was so unexpected and out there, I loved it!
Reunited is an amazing story of a mother mourning the loss of her daughter. An emotional and horrific story of mourning and revenge. This one really touched my heart, and it is still with me. I think this story is probably one of the best shorts I have read in years.
The next story, Lucy, is about Lucy who runs a business that helps people deal with unsavory types of other people. This is one of those catch-22 stories. Hopefully, when you read this one, you’ll see what I mean.
Shadow of Torment is a crazy story! A kid is constantly bullied and his online buddy helps him escape the torments of the abuse. He comes to rely on the companionship and support from his online buddy. Man, the outcome of this story… I didn’t see that coming at all!
No Sanctuary is another insane story with a twist. Kristen is in one of those love/hate relationships. I want this story to be a novel!! You get fear, gore, fire, revenge, and more!
A Shattered Mind. Subliminal messaging is turning a regular man into a mad-man! This story belongs on the Twilight Zone show. It has that weird, what-the-hell-is-happening-oh-my-god-did-I-do-that feeling.
Stayed Awake All Night is about a young man that can’t fall asleep because his nightmares are so surreal and he’s worried how real they feel. A fabulous story.
The House on the Hill. Woody is way down on his luck, but karma always has a way of sneaking in next door. I will say this is a great if-you-hate-your-job type story that’ll satisfy you, hehe.
I am excited to jump into some more of Sargent’s stories. He is a brilliant writer, and I enjoyed every moment in this book. I definitely recommend this one to all levels of horror readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...