Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Chasing Ghosts by Justin Boote


 

You ever walk into a room and think I’m not alone? You look around and you don’t see anyone but you can’t shake the feeling. You get this overpowering oppressive feeling and know something bad happened here and the evilness is lingering, watching you. 


Justin Boote’s newest horror story, Chasing Ghosts, is full of atmospheric evil. The book takes off with no letting up. I started it at night, and I recommend you do the same. The quiet and darkness around me intensified the evil.


Welcome to Bradwell. Here is where you will find a home that has a troubling past. Many of its victims are in the sanitarium, Northgate. While others live the rest of their lives in prison. I picture in my mind a village so desolate and quiet with a deep history in violence. A home that claims its victims with no remorse. People on the verge of mental breakdowns and violent acts. And for what purpose? Why is this happening, again? 


Boote’s writing is smooth and direct. It is easy to get hooked on his books because the words flow effortlessly. Undoubtedly, Boote can turn the macabre into something beautiful. I know he has lots to choose from, and if his writing is this consistent across all of them, it doesn’t matter what book you start with. 


If you have been enjoying some cozy horror stories and looking to up your game, give Chasing Ghosts a try. I would consider this a great book to read for those of you that want horror, but not over-the-top gore. There is some violence and gore, but in my opinion, it is done to give a sense of dread and fear, not to make your stomach roll. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...