Monday, October 10, 2022

Prisoner of Fear by Chad Miller

 


It is nice to find a new author for me that writes well and can put together a story that pulls me in and keeps me on my toes until the end. I enjoyed this book from start to end. Chad Miller is definitely on my radar and should be on yours as well.


This book is set in the late 1880s, when men and women were viewed to have different values. During the time of inequality, one of the two main characters sees this injustice and values a woman’s opinion as an equal. That appeals to me greatly. While this is a topic in the book, it does not cause a distraction for the story. I just happen to like this because I am a woman. 


Two best friends, John and Thomas, like to help people and solve cases of the supernatural kind. Using diary entries and personal letters, we follow the case of a missing doctor; who also happens to be a friend of John. The missing doctor was on his way to help a close friend in need when he vanished. John and Thomas travel to the town the doctor was last seen in and learn of another mystery needing to be solved. This is when it really picks up and becomes a faster story. So much is happening and so many questions come up, I can’t help but think about it long after I finished reading the book. The book does end with questions unanswered, but I still feel like it is a complete book that ended perfectly. We don’t have to wait long for the next book, it comes out in February/March of 2023! Yay!


I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes-esque feel to this book. The banter is both witty and serious. There are quite a few notable quotes I have highlighted as well. Overall, I found this book engrossing, riveting, and passionate. I would definitely recommend this book to all adult readers, no matter what your favorite genre is. 


Chad Miller also has a short stories collection that I am going to put on my to-read list. I definitely enjoy his writing style.


Thank you Chad for sending me a copy of your book for an honest review. I am looking forward to your next book in this series!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...