Monday, September 19, 2022

Dead Blood Book 1 by Jay Bower

 


A few weeks ago I read Jay Bower’s short story collection, Hanging Corpses. I found out soon after that one of those short stories, named New World Hunger, set the theme for a series he is writing, called Dead Blood. I ordered that one as soon as I could. 


So it comes in the mail. I put my current book down and open this book up. I turn to the first chapter and read it quickly. Yeah, this is going to be good!! That hooks me pretty quick. Then chapter 2 is done and I can’t put it down. So for two days I took my time savoring this story, ignoring the other book altogether. 


After a 5 year slumber, vampire Dorian Wilde wakes up to a world unlike one he fell asleep to in Brownsville, Illinois. The world is in the midst of a zombie apocalypse! And dead blood is nasty blood. He needs to find fresh blood, from the very few people he can find. He also needs to make his way to St. Louis, to get some answers as to what happened to everyone. So far everyone he meets is either consumed by his need for blood or gives vague answers to his questions. Now, he just needs to survive one day without being attacked by the undead or by humans that mean to kill him. By the end of this story, Dorian has had it with being nice and patient. I am going to need to read Book 2 and 3, which are out right now. I think Dorian is fixing to kick some ass and do a lot of killing. I’m excited to find out how his story plays out. 


There is quite a bit of gore and violence in this one, which I like. A whole lot of Dorian finding himself in precarious situations. All in all, this is a solid read. I definitely recommend it for vampire, zombie, and apocalypse readers that don’t want romance and glitzy dumb ass vampires. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...