Thursday, September 22, 2022

Cursed Earth by D. T. Neal


 The Cursed Earth by D. T. Neal releases October 4, 2022


This book is amazing. A folk horror with a cult, an evil clown, black magic, and lots of mushrooms!


D. T. Neal does know quite a bit about mushrooms and it shows in this story. Neal is fantastic with visualizing in words the atmosphere, the scenery, and the characters emotions and actions. Fans of Ronald Malfi will enjoy this book. 


In a little town called Lynchburg in Pennsylvania, there is a huge mushroom business. This family owned  business shares their success by hosting a yearly Fungus Festival. This year is the 50th anniversary of the festival; and it falls on Friday the 13th. This story follows the story of a chef, a group of college friends, a gang, industrial spies and lots of festival goers. 


While it may seem that following so many views of the festival can be difficult to follow, Neal has the skills to make this easy to keep up. I never got confused as to who is who and what their role is in the story. 


The narration between all the characters flowed easily and smoothly. I enjoyed the banter and learning about the different types of mushrooms. 


The action scenes were also easy to follow. I found myself so engrossed and speed reading because I was so involved in what happens to each character. I came to care about what happens to all of the people in this story. 


Overall, I found this book immersive, engaging, and fun. I would definitely put this book as one of the best books I have read in 2022.


Thank you #NetGalley and #NosetouchPress for sending me this ebook to read and review. #TheCursedEarth


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...