Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Every Woman Knows This: A Horror Collection by Laurel Hightower, Death Knell Press, Publishes March 3, 2023



Last year I read a book called Below by Laurel Hightower and it was one of the best stories I read. I still remember the story vividly. Now, Hightower has a collection of horror short stories and let me tell you, AMAZING! I freaking love Laurel Hightower’s writing, she is a truly gifted storyteller. Twenty awesome short stories in this gorgeous book.


Buckle up! I’m breaking it down again, believe me, it’s worth it. When I give a synopsis for these stories, I want you to keep in mind that they are very vague. So much more happens in these stories, but I don’t want to give it all away, of course. When you read these synopsis, keep in mind that they are just the tip of what the story is.


There are five short stories called Vignettes of Womanhood, that are all one to two pages in length. Since they are so short I am not going to give a synopsis for them. They are titled: Scar Tissue, Broken Branches, Iron Lung, Pop Quiz, and Bullet Proof. They are all amazing little snippets. 


Every Woman Knows This. A story about a woman being followed at night and her fears playing out in her mind about what the stalker wants from her. A harrowing story.


The Dance. This is a beautiful and dark love story. A husband wants one last dance with his wife. Written like a long song playing in your head due to the ambiance Hightower writes. 


The Bride Wore Black. A young woman returns home to find a book she remembers when she was a child. A quick story with a gut punch at the end.


The Midwife. A midwife that does show up during childbirth, but for completely different reasons than you would think. A frightening plot twist all throughout the story. The ending was amazing.


The Little Head. From a young age, Elise can hear a little girl crying at night. It followers her throughout the years. I loved the ending for this story. So gruesome and evil.


Goddess of Need. Such a phenomenal story. Oh my gosh, you will love this one. It is a revenge story about Ophelia. She learns a lesson about mankind. 


Distress Call. A missing submarine rises from the depths of the ocean and shares its secrets. Creepy and awesome. A great deep ocean scare.


Starman. A young child has someone or something visit her at night when she has really bad days. As she grows older, the entity doesn’t visit until she is much older and gives her an ultimatum. My favorite story out of all of these. 


One of Those Faces. This is a really neat story. A woman uses her skills to help another woman take care of unwanted attention from a guy. 


Though Your Heart Is Breaking. Women are always told to “smile, it’ll get better!” But sometimes, the wrong woman is told this and she gets a little bit angry and acts out. I was satisfied with the plot twist. 


Hooking Up: A female serial killer short story! You gotta enjoy a nice female killer seeking out some mayhem. 


The Goodbye House: The Goodbye House is a place you can say your peace to a loved one that has died. The house and its keeper can only take so much. It is a good story, has a fantastic ending.


Ghosted: This is how to go about getting rid of a ghost in your house. A really short story but so much fun. I loved the last sentence, hehe.


Someone Has to Do It: Zombie!!! I love zombies, so this is close to my heart. I don’t want to give anymore details. Really entertaining!!


The Smallest Places: Can you feel death as it happens? What a neat story about death. 


I really enjoy Laurel Hightower’s writing and her stories. She is becoming one of my favorite authors of all time. I need to read all the things she writes. Her stories feel like when she has an idea of what she wants to write, she just starts putting it to paper and the story unfolds on its own. It is as if she has no idea where it’ll end up, but when it ends, it is amazing. I hope this makes sense. When you read anything by Laurel Hightower, you will see what I mean. It is so worth it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...