Thursday, February 2, 2023

The Sweet Scent of Liver by Eli Wilde, self published





This is my first book by Eli Wilde. I was expecting a fantastic anthology of horror and it delivered! I am blown away with what I read. There are eight short stories in this little anthology covering 100 years. And that cover is amazing!! And those black and white photos!


Normally I would break down each story and share with you a short synopsis and my views on the story. This anthology would be difficult to do, and give way too many spoilers if I were to do that. 


From the year 2099 to 2199, an apocalyptic event happens across the world. An infected population, called the sharded, deem to change the world by saving the humans who are deemed worthy of their souls, and eliminate those that are not. The sharded are guided by a higher power who has selected a few humans who will be important to the evolution of cleansing the earth. This higher power is not forgiving and is hungry for control. 


First of all, your soul isn’t where you think it is, and it is quite tasty. Second, we all smell exceptionally good or horribly bad, whatever your smell is, will save you or you will meet your demise. Third, there are clones and you might be one of them throughout this entire history.


The first two short stories are the history of how the sharded came to be and where they come from. The next five stories follow an individual that has a major part to play in this apocalyptic event. The final story is unbelievably superb. 


There are many potential side stories and continuations of the future that can accompany this anthology. This is a story of a different kind of apocalypse that is both magnificent and brutal. I would love to read more of this world Wilde has created. I hope that there will be more stories to read expanding on this sci-fi historical horror anthology. Excellent writing, fantastic world building, outstanding use of descriptions for horror. I need more!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...