Friday, February 24, 2023




Orchard of Skeletons by Eli Wilde, self published. Releases March 27, 2023


Oh damn! You know those stories that draw you in, and you can’t put it down; and then it is over and you lay the book down and think how amazing the story is and the ending was unexpected but still managed to end perfectly? That was my experience reading Orchard of Skeletons. I read that book in two days. I ignored all the chores and job duties just so I could finish this novel. 


Isaac and Macy live in a dystopian world. The world has seen many pandemics and destruction leaving behind a desolate and dead world. 


Macy has lived a very sheltered life until Isaac shows up and eventually shows her compassion. Isaac has had a hard childhood, and is soon given a home by Finch. In return for helping Finch’s family run an auto shop, Isaac is given a free room and food. All he has to do is stay in line and follow the rules. Macy has a job to fulfill as well for Finch’s family and friends. Isaac and Macy form a strong friendship and decide they should leave and find the ocean. The journey sends them through the forests with wolves, Finch hunting them down, and meeting a replicant that will help them find the ocean. 


This is a remarkable story. The imagination and storytelling is quite magical in my opinion. It is brutal and raw, but is laced with hope, love, and the idea that you can achieve anything you set out to achieve with someone you love by your side. Throughout all the scenes of the story, I felt I was with Isaac and Macy. I could see what they saw, I could taste their food. I fell in love with these two. 


I would classify this as a dystopian, coming of age story. It is quite graphic in some scenes and the descriptions are told so effectively. A definite 5 star story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...