Sunday, February 26, 2023

Tales Corpses Tell by J. D. Allen, self published

 




Ten short stories by J. D. Allen. You think you know the endings to these stories, but I guarantee you will be wrong with at least eight of them. Allen is a talented author with a gift of changing the endings to stories making them one of a kind.


Kill It! Oh my gosh, what a story!! There is a pest that is freaking out a couple when they see it on the floor and it keeps scurrying away. They keep trying to catch it but it always evades them. This one is my favorite story in this anthology. Entertaining, the right amount of spooky, and the ending was unexpected!


Mirror Image. A guy is just going about his day when he sees someone who looks just like him, so he decides to follow the guy. Another totally unexpected ending. 


Face Lift. Another different kind of story that I could determine where it was going. It’s about a young actress that is beautiful, talented, and always in demand to be cast in movies. One day, she decides to lay low for a bit, becoming a recluse. This story went in a totally unexpected direction, really blew my mind.


The Nag. What an entertaining story! A man is married to a woman who is always nagging about everything. Obviously there is more to this story than just a nag. 


Two Heads Are Better Than One. Woah…what on earth did I read? This was completely unexpected!! Another ending that is so out there, and it works!


Under the Bed. Something is under Tommy’s bed and it is terrifying him!! Finally, he figures out what is under his bed and freaks the hell out! I would too, Tommy! I would run and freak out and probably knock myself out running away.


Boo!. Stranger danger!! A cute little game of Peek a Boo with a baby turns nasty. I got a little chuckle out of the twist on the ending. 


Cat and Mouse. A man's wife just died and her stray cat is missing her. The story completely backfires on my prediction…again! Allen is good at throwing in twists and turns.


Secret Santa. A nasty little story. Carol Singer lives alone with her two cats. Times are tough and she does what she can to survive. I enjoy cat stories, so this one is another favorite of mine.


The Creature of Driftwood Beach. This is a cool story for the end of the anthology. In 1888, a young woman finds a hidden beach that suddenly appears. That ending…it makes me speechless.


Once you finish reading these short stories, you will see that J. D. Allen can think outside of the box, coming up with some unique endings. I enjoyed this collection for the most part. At times it was repetitive, but it was still entertaining enough to hold on and finish the stories. In most of these stories, there is a theme that is common in the horror trope, but Allen puts a twist on these endings that make them stand out and become a distinctive story unlike your typical endings in these tropes. I think lots of horror readers will enjoy this quick collection. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...