Thursday, February 16, 2023

Sleeping Among Wolves by Robert Royal Poff, self published

 



Sleeping Among Wolves by Robert Royal Poff, self published, March 4, 2023


This is my first time reading anything by Robert Royal Poff. I hope to read some more of this talented author. 


I enjoyed this story, a horror story with a focus on love. This is a great little novella perfect for those wanting a more subdued horror story, but still need fast and gory, bloody scenes. This is a story that is more focused on love, to be with them during an apocalypse. 


Atlas and Moose are on their third date when the apocalypse happens. They find safety for a short while with other survivors. But soon, they must flee and find a new home. They do everything they can to make it to a new place, meeting friends and enemies while avoiding those with an illness that turns humans into cannibals. 


I feel that a lot of heart and soul went into this story. There is a depth to it that is usually not present in some horror stories. Poff was able to create characters I came to care for and relate to, while also building a believable world. I actually could feel the love between Atlas and Moose and hoped for a perfect ending for the two. My adrenaline would increase during some of the attacks on these two. And yes, I did get teary eyed a couple of times. 


I highly recommend this for anyone that is wanting to step away from the heavy fear induced horror stories and need a little breather. A lot of us need to step away from the heavily gory stories out there, and this is a great book to pick up for that reason. There is plenty of gore and blood, but there is equal measure of love and devotion. A solid story from start to finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Deading by Nicholas Belardes

 This is genuinely a wonderful story. The Deading is one of the best pieces of literary horror I have read. It guides you through so many em...